Job TypeFull Time/Hourly
Salary$24.81-$34.24 per hour, depending on qualifications
Reporting To: Water/Wastewater Superintendent
Department: Water Operations
Schedule: Monday – Thursday 6:30 am – 5:00 PM, occasional overtime, evenings & weekends
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure safe and adequate drinking water is delivered to KPUD customers by performing routine water system checks, monitoring water quality, and responding to customer inquiries.
- Identify operation and maintenance deficiencies and make adjustments/repairs as needed.
- Perform various operational maintenance activities with limited supervision.
- Climb elevated storage tanks and enter confined spaces.
- Read, repair, and replace water meters.
- Responsible for the preventative maintenance of water system infrastructure. Examples include: valve exercising, flushing, inspection of control valves, fire hydrants, pressure tanks and standpipes.
- Operate vehicles and small power equipment including generators, cutoff saws, lawn mowers, weed eaters, etc.
- Use computer equipment and related software including, but not limited to: PC, iPad, Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.
- Perform related work as required.
- Participate in an on-call rotation, responding to emergency calls outside of normal work hours.
- The work environment is 95% outside manual labor and 5% office/shop facility duties, requiring frequent bending, grasping, kneeling, pulling, pushing, reaching, repetitive motion, lifting/carrying of objects weighing up to 15 pounds and occasional lifting/carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
Job Related Qualifications
- Ability to understand and retain new concepts and ideas (i.e. Water system hydraulics)
- Ability to receive feedback and communicate thoughts clearly and professionally
- Ability to work with hands to diagnose, disassemble and repair water related infrastructure and equipment
- Ability to work alone or as part of a team to identify and repair problems in a safe and efficient manner
- Ability to demonstrate a strong commitment to KPUD’s core values when working alone, within a team, and with customers
- Must be self-motivated and possess a strong work ethic to help meet KPUD’s mission of “Strengthening Kitsap communities through responsive and sustainable utility services.”
- Experience in a maintenance related field
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions when performing utility work
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Valid Washington State driver’s license
- Ability to obtain a Water Distribution Manager 1 within one year of hire
- Applicants must pass a background check and drug screening.
Excellent benefit package including retirement, medical/dental insurance, and PTO.